The Rock of Staggia

The Rock of Staggia


In land of Siena stands astride the Via Francigena the Rock of Staggia


The Rock of Staggia

The Rock of Staggia
In land of Siena stands astride the Via Francigena the Rock of Staggia

The earliest records of the fortified hamlet date back to 994. The lords of Staggia (the Soarzi) then became one of the most powerful feudal factions of the Valdelsa, entering on several occasions in the conflicts between Florence and Siena since their lands were on the border between the two rivals. The family reached its major splendor in the 12th century while in the following century, when the hamlet at the foot of the castle started flourishing thanks to the passage of variants of the “via Francigena”, they gradually started falling into decline. At the end of the century, the Franzesi, a family coming from the Valdarno Superiore who had become rich thanks to its trading with France (hence the name), bought the castle, enlarging and refurbishing it. In 1361 the family underwent financial ruin and the stronghold was bought by the Florentines, as an outpost against the Sienese. In 1372 the walls were strengthened, being often at the centre of border wars. In 1431, as advised by Filippo Brunelleschi, the city walls were linked around the castle and became its keep.

 
By Dinamo Cms